Ashford and St Peter’s welcome private patients and use the income generated from private services for the benefit of all patients. This Policy sets out the recommended standards for best practice for any staff involved in developing and delivering private practice at the Trust.
A definition of a private patient is one that has requested to make specific choice about the delivery of their hospital treatment, and has undertaken specific agreement to be responsible for paying for such treatment.
Patients that have been identified as being liable to charges by virtue of being an overseas visitor are not the same as a private patient. This is because although they are liable to pay for any treatment delivered on a non-urgent or necessary basis, they cannot exercise the level of choice provided to private patients. Overseas Visitors are identified and managed under the Overseas Visitor Policy.
This policy is relevant to all staff employed within Divisions undertaking additional clinics and/or services on a private basis or on behalf of patients referred by their private healthcare insurance provider.
Divisions undertaking additional clinics and/or services on a private basis; or on behalf of patients referred by their private healthcare insurance provider must refer to these guidelines when developing and delivering private services.
All staff involved in the development and delivery of private services (consultants, nursing and administrative support staff should also refer to this policy.
This private patient policy will ensure that the Trust:
- Provides a standard body of guidance and clear guidelines to staff for the management of private practice within the Trust.
- Does not contravene government legislation concerning private patient services.
- Makes all staff aware of their responsibility with regard to identifying private patients and communicating this to colleagues so that the correct patient status is recorded on Trust systems.
- Specifies a complete audit trail of all consultations, admissions and treatment of all private patients carried out within the Trust.
- Has an open and auditable process, where the same standards are applied across the Trust.
|Compiled by:||Overseas and Private Patients Manager|
|Ratified by:||Trust Executive Committee|
|Date Ratified:||May 2017|
|Date Issued:||May 2017|
|Review Date:||May 2019|
|Target Audience:||All staff|
|Contact name:||Overseas and Private Patients Manager|