This document sets out the framework for clinical staff for medical device training. Medical Devices are defined as:
“any instrument, apparatus, material or other article, whether used alone or in combination, including the software necessary for its proper application intended by the manufacturer to be used for human beings for the purpose of:
- diagnosis, prevention, monitoring, treatment or alleviation of disease
- diagnosis, monitoring, treatment, alleviation of or compensation for an injury or handicap
- investigation, replacement or modification of the anatomy or of a physiological process
- control of contraception which does not achieve its principle intended action in or on the human body by pharmacological, immunological or metabolic means. (MHRA 2007).
This policy will ensure that there is a process whereby all permanent clinical staff are trained to safely use diagnostic and therapeutic equipment appropriate to their role. Clinical staff includes Doctors, Nurses, Midwives and all Allied Health Professionals.
It is recognised that the use of medical devices and equipment may be delegated to a Health Care Assistant or other associated support staff, but the registered professional remains accountable at all times for ensuring the competence of individuals and that delegation is appropriate and safe.
|Compiled by:||Head of Patient Safety|
|Ratified by:||Quality Governance Committee (Chairman’s Action)|
|Date Ratified:||February 2017|
|Date Issued:||February 2017|
|Review Date:||February 2020|
|Target Audience:||All Clinical Staff|
|Contact name:||Head of Patient Safety|
- Policy for management of medical devices
- Resuscitation Policy
- Minimal standards for continuous epidural analgesia
- Minimal standards for patient controlled analgesia
- Minimal handling policy and procedures
- Policy for the introduction and development of new Interventional procedures policy
- Performance review and development needs assessment (Appraisal)
- Policy for the management and reporting of incidents
- Learning Education & Development Policy